Cosmetics that are developed without any sort of testing on animals are referred to as cruelty-free cosmetics. By testing, it means that the product is not tested in any stage of production as some people might confuse it as only the final testing before mass production. The producers even refrain from using the ingredients that are tested on animals. The tests conducted on animals to verify the product and possible reactions are quite painful for the animals. They not only cause pain but also cause blindness, bleeding, distress, internal bleeding, swollen eyes, damaged organs, convulsions, and sometimes death. All these consequences are quite inhuman and ironic. These tests are conducted on rabbits, mice, dogs, and cats. The producers don’t even bother to think about any sort of possible reaction that can damage the tissues and skin cells of animals because they are treated as ‘subjects’ instead of ‘living organisms’ who can feel pain and irritation. And we are not referring to a few animals rather millions of animals are used every year for cosmetic testing and then dumped like waste. Instead of such cruel testing, the cruelty-free product manufacturers opt for an alternative means. You might be wondering how they test them. Well, they test the products on artificial tissues or try in-vitro testing. Tests can also be conducted through computer modeling and even on volunteer humans (for of course organic products that are non-chemical based).
Why cruelty-free cosmetics are made?
Cruelty-free cosmeticsare getting quite fame and rightly so. They are produced to follow ethical practices to produce cosmetics. Although animals have been tested for centuries for cosmetics someone has to break that cycle of cruelty and insensitiveness. Wrong is wrong even if the majority has been doing it. Someone has to break the cycle of cruel practices even if they are being performed on animals. These cosmetics are favored by a mindset that values the well-being of animals as they are also living organism and doesn’t deserve this sort of cruelty.
It is inhumane to cage the animals in a state of free until they are being tested with the product. Once the product is tested and the results are calculated, the animals are simply thrown away. To stop this brutality, ethical producers are promoting alternative means of product testing. Cruelty-free cosmetics are gaining huge popularity among people who are against animal cruelty and want a fair world for all.
Reasons to use cruelty-free cosmetics
Cruelty-free cosmetics are winning the hearts of consumers worldwide. It is not only because of the sense of satisfaction that they are contributing to an ethical cause by purchasing products that are not produced by cruel testing on animals but also because of the underlying benefits. Yes, you read it right. There are many benefits that you can enjoy by switching to cruelty-free products. Some of the most irresistible benefits are listed below:
· Cruelty-free cosmetics are made with organic ingredients and are free of harsh chemicals. So, by switching to these products you are not only helping animals but also your skin. Applying products that have harsh chemicals can damage your skin cells and cause skin dullness and other issues. In contrast, products with no harsh chemicals can make your skin inherently healthy without leaving any side effects.
· Cruelty-free products are a healthy choice because the product you apply to your skin penetrates your body cells and can become a part of the bloodstream. By switching from chemical based products to organic cruelty-free products, you can make sure that you are choosing a healthy alternative for your body.
· Purchasing cruelty-free products promotes the production of such products. This way you can pay your part to save the lives of animals who are tested without any need.
· Less chance of skin damage, allergies, skin rash, and other skin issues.
· You indirectly play your part in saving the planet. This is so because the usual products contain chemicals such as sulfate which when washed in the washroom gets mixed with the water and contaminates the environment. In contrast, the cruelty-free products are free of such chemicals. When used, these products do not harm the environment in any way.
· Many famous brands are opting for cruelty-free methods to produce cosmetics. You must be aware of the body shop, ELF, Nyx, Pacifica, and other such loved brands. So, you don’t have to worry about the quality of cosmetics or the variety of shades because you can have it all without hurting any animal.
· These products are much safer to use. Most brands conduct animal testing when they are using shady ingredients in the name of offering an ‘innovative’ skincare solution. However, the chemicals and harsh ingredients can never be good for human skin. By opting for cruelty-free products you are leaving all such worry behind and enjoy cosmetics that are safe to use.
· The most compelling reason is that cruelty-free products are affordable in comparison. Manufactured and tested simply cuts cost that is otherwise spent on chemical testing. This affordability aspect is quite attractive as you can get a better skin care solution at a cheaper price. What else can one ask for?
Are cruelty-free products supported by the government?
You might be wondering why isn’t government is interfering to save the lives of innocent animals. Well, the global laws are changing. Many governments are taking strict measures to demotivate and ban animal testing. As an example let's consider the Cruelty-free Cosmetics Act which says that there are other cost-effective and quicker ways to conduct cosmetic testing. So the manufacturers are banned to sale any cosmetics that are tested on animals from 1st January 2022.
Similarly Indian, New Zealand, and Norway governments have also banned animal testing for cosmetic and cleaning products. In the US, 10 states have banned animal testing following from December 2022. The European Union has also imposed a ban since 2013. Likewise, many other countries are stepping ahead to ban the products that are being animal tested.
Are vegan and cruelty-free cosmetics the same?
Many people get confused that vegan and cruelty-free cosmetics are the same. In reality, the core concept of both these terms is different. Vegan products are those that are not produced with any sort of animal-based ingredient or even a by-product of an animal (such as honey from bees). Whereas, cruelty-free products are made in a way that they are not tested on animals at any stage. So, in simple words, vegan cosmetics focus on the ingredients while cruelty-free products focus on the manufacturing procedure.
So, in essence, both of these terms refer to two very different concepts. However vegan products can be cruelty-free if the manufacturer chooses not to test them on animals. Since the motivation behind vegan cosmetics is to save animal slaughtering lowering animal testing is also an extension of the same cause. Vegan and cruelty-free cosmetics are produced to save animals and offer an alternative way of cosmetic production to others in the industry and to customers as well.
How to ensure that the cosmetics are cruelty-free?
To make sure that the cosmetics you are buying are cruelty-free you can read the label. Many producers mention on the label that the product is cruelty-free. But is it enough to rely on the label? As it is a part of the packaging designed by the company itself? The answer surely is NO! You cannot just trust the word of the manufacturer and assume that the product is cruelty-free. To be truly sure, you should check if the company claiming to be selling cruelty-free cosmetics is certified by a recognized organization. The famous cruelty-free certification organizations are PETA, Leaping Bunng, Choose cruelty-free, and others.
All these organizations have specific rules of set or requirements that you need to meet in order to get the certification. For instance, to get certified by Choose Cruelty-Free, you need to stop animal testing for 5 years and then apply for certification. It means that you will have to prove that you have not tested the product on animals to be eligible to get the certificate. In case your organization is just registered and hasn’t completed 5 years tenure then you need to declare that the product is not tested on animals and all the ingredients used are also procured from suppliers who use cruelty-free methods.
If you want an easy way to know which brands are still using the old-school manufacturing tactics then you can check PETA's website to see a list of all companies that are still testing on animals. You can have a good look at the list to boycott those brands to play your part. But is that enough? Noe necessarily. You need to spread awareness by communicating this issue with your circle and promoting cruelty-free cosmetics so that more and more people get to know about this.
Banffee Makeup is a professional cruelty-free cosmetics manufacturer based in China, we provide various kinds of cruelty-free makeup products including cruelty-free lipsticks, eyeshadows, lip gloss, lip liners, foundation, etc. And we provide customazition service. Welcome to contact us for further information.
HEY, LET’S KEEP IN TOUCH!
If you have any questions about our products or services, feel free to reach out to customer service team.