Makeup is a must-have product for every female out there. There will be hardly any female who doesn’t apply makeup on her skin. You might have heard the hype that highlighters are making in the makeup world. Every MOA, Makeup artist, and famous influencer out there is using highlighter. You might be wondering what highlighter represents in makeup. You might have seen a glossy effect on a model’s face that makes their skin shine and glam. That dewy glossy effect is produced by the highlighter. If you want to know the literal meaning of highlighter then let me pen it down for you. Highlighter makeup is a cosmetic product that can reflect light giving a glossy effect to your makeup and skin. The lightweight concealer-like makeup item comes in tones of champagne, bronze, and golden. Highlighter is usually applied after makeup with the purpose of ‘highlighting’ or ‘prominent’ some specific features. The aim is to stand out some features to prominent the bone structure to shape the face as you desire. If you want to find ways to glam up your look by using highlighter makeup then you have come to the right place. Here, you will find all about highlighter and how to use it to make a glam appearance to slay the look.
Is highlighter and blush on the same?
Usually, highlighter is applied on cheekbones although there are a lot of other features that you want to stand out using highlighter and we will get back to it later. Many people confuse between blush-on and highlighter. But in effect, both are very different and used for different purposes. A blush, as the name suggests, is used to add a blushing effect on your cheeks by adding a color. The blush is normally in pink tone to give a fresh blush appeal to the cheeks. Whereas, a highlighter is applied to ‘emphasize’ some features of the cheek like the cheekbone. It gives a lifted appeal of the bone structure to give a sleek look to the face. It is a shine or shimmer that reflects light and gives an elevated look to the cheekbone.
So, in effect, blush adds color whereas highlighter adds a glow to the face. Though both are different products they both surely complement each other. Usually, makeup lovers apply both blush and highlighter makeup to get the perfect look. Some makeup brands have also introduced a blush with added shimmer that can be applied as one product with the effect of both in that it gives color plus reflects the light off the cheeks giving you the glow you desire.
Types of Highlighter
Highlighters are sometimes classified as shimmery, glittery, strobing, etc. but all these forms represent the same purpose of highlighting specific features in the face. Highlighter makeup is available in 4 forms. You can get powdered, stick, liquid, or cream-based highlighter. All highlighters are used for the same purpose but are applied differently and can work for different skin types. Here is a complete guide on all such aspects of these types of highlighters:
· Powdered Highlighter: The majority of highlighters available are in powdered form. They are in the form of both loose powder and pressed powder form. Powdered highlighters are the easiest to apply as people are already acquainted with applying powdered blush on the face. These highlighters are applied with makeup brushes. The texture of the highlighter is such that it fits into the skin to give it a smooth and flawless finish. Too dry powder that fails to blend in the skin will give a powdery finish that doesn’t merge properly and looks artificial. Powdered highlighters are perfect for people with oily skin as the oil in the skin merges with the powder to give a flawless look. On the contrary, if you have dry skin then you would like to have a cream highlighter which we are going to discuss next.
· Cream highlighters: Cream highlighters are also water-based but their texture is a bit thicker than liquid highlighters. Cream highlighters are much easier to apply in comparison to liquid highlighters. They are more than perfect for people with dry skin but can be easily applied to all skin types. Cream highlighters can be easily merged or blended in the skin with the help of a highlighter brush, fingers, or a beauty blender. The highlighter brush is a special brush that helps to merge the highlighter. Cream highlighter gives a creamy glow to the face giving a dewy finish that looks very natural and splendid. These highlighters are best for a ‘no makeup’ makeup look. Cream highlighters should be applied before setting powder or compact powder to completely merge it into the skin.
· Liquid highlighters: Liquid highlighter comes with a water-based texture that gives a naturally dewy look. Being liquid they get seamlessly blended in skin giving a more natural look than powdered highlighters. You can apply it with a makeup brush, or beauty blender or can even blend it with your fingers. Blending with fingers is much easier as you can stroke the highlighter in the desired manner. Applying liquid highlighter can be a bit tricky and you need a level of proficiency to apply it correctly. It is because it is tricky to blend the highlighter into the skin. The highlighter absorbs readily where it is applied so you need to put drops of highlighter in the desired area and then dab it properly to give a flawless appeal. Liquid highlighters are great for people with dry skin.
· Stick highlighters: These are easier to apply as they come in the form of a stick which can be directly applied on the desired area you want to lift. After applying it can be merged by a brush, beauty blender, or settled by fingers. The stick highlighter resembles a cream form highlighter shaped in a stick but its texture matches that of a cream highlighter. It is suitable for all skin types but gives splendid results on dry skin.
Where to apply highlighter makeup?
You must have seen people applying highlighter on cheeks, but do you know that highlighter can be applied to other features as well to reflect light and give a lifted look? Here are the features that can be ‘highlighted’ by applying highlighter makeup.
· Cheekbone: The most common feature to highlight is the cheekbone. It gives a lifted look when you apply the highlighter over the bone to make it more prominent. Highlighter works like magic when you have chubby cheeks and you want to give a sleek appearance.
· Brow bone: Brow bone is quite an underrated feature to apply highlighter but it lifts your eyebrows and gives a brighter look to the face. The brow bone is the arched bone right below your eyebrows. Highlighting this bone makes your face glow and shine.
· Jawline: Just the way people love to apply contour on the jawline, they also love to highlight the jawline. Make sure to apply the highlighter in a way that when the light hits your face it shines the way you want to shape your face.
· Above lips: The center portion above lips also known as cupid’s bow is also a great feature to highlight. It gives a fresh look to your face, makes the lipstick stand out, and gives a fuller appeal to your lips.
· The inner portion of eyes: You do apply eye makeup to the eyelids, under eyes, lashes, and lash line so why leave the inner portion unattended? The inner eye portion appears to be darker which makes your eyes small. Try applying a little highlighter there and merge it well and it will widen your eyes and make them look brighter.
· Under eyes: It might look like a new concept but when you can apply eye shadow under the eyes then why not highlighter? The purpose of applying highlighter here is to brighten the eyes rather than to lift the area. The under-eye area usually is a bit darker so applying a concealer followed by a highlighter can give a brighter look to your eyes and give a healthy touch to your face.
· Nose bone: Highlighting the nose bone along with a good contour can help you shape the nose the way you desire. Nose highlighter is quite underrated too but it gives a fresh glow to the face.
· Chin center: The center portion of the chin can also be highlighted. This is preferable for those who have an oval or long face and want to give it a round appeal. The trick is to blend the highlighter well along with a concealer to change the shape of the face.
· Center of eyelids: To brighten up the eyes even more you can add some highlighter on the center of the eyelids after applying eye shadow. This looks equally amazing in a nude makeup look or smokey eyes. It adds a special glow to your eyes that makes them look bigger and shiner.
· Shoulder bones: It might come as a strange place to put on highlighter but models and even fashion lovers like to put highlighter on shoulder bones to give a toned-down shape to the body.
· Legs: Similar to the shoulder bone, people like to highlight the front bone of the legs to give it a toned-down appeal.
HEY, LET’S KEEP IN TOUCH!
If you have any questions about our products or services, feel free to reach out to customer service team.