Lipsticks serve to enhance the natural look of the lips, usually changing the color, sometimes increasing the shine. Solid lipsticks when applied melt temporarily due to friction, then cool quickly as they adhere to the surface of the lips.
The formula of a lipstick varies greatly depending on the brand and finish, all contain a mixture of waxes and oils in which a pigment and often a fragrance is dispersed. Waxes give texture in a stick product, different ones are used in a similar way to chapstick. Oils and silicones are the emollients that make the product more pleasant to use and give it shine, they are also indispensable to disperse the color evenly in the product. Some lipsticks also contain sun filters. The key ingredient in a lipstick is the colorant, considering it is a product that is affixed to the lips and therefore is partially ingested, most colorants are also used in food. Some are inorganic like iron oxides, others are organic of natural origin but nowadays produced synthetically like carmine.
There are different types of lipsticks depending on their finish: glosses contain a lot of waxes and oils to create a very smooth film on the lips that reflects light evenly and makes them shiny, while matte lipsticks contain a lot of pigments and few emollients. Light will reflect off lips in all directions giving an even, completely matte color. Frost and shimmer lipsticks contain mica to give shimmer and/or metallic highlights. Plumping lipsticks, i.e., lip-plumping lipsticks, contain irritants such as capsaicin, a molecule found in chili peppers that temporarily swells the lips.
Poppy king said Lipstick is the one element of make-up that has the ability to transform people. Not only how you look, but also how you feel. Other make-up products correct, conceal or enhance, but lipstick is something you wear and feel like you can conquer the world.
Choosing the right lipstick: a fundamental step for a perfect makeup. But how do we select the texture and color best suited to us? First of all, we need to take into account our complexion color, then, in general, the colors that frame the face. What's more, the perfect lipstick should enhance our lips. Here's all the advice you need to choose the right lipstick for every occasion!
1. Skin Color
Light, medium or dark? To understand what color your skin is, observe it well in the sun, paying particular attention to the jaw area. Fair skin tends to a pale complexion, struggles to tan, burns easily and has freckles and redness very often. Medium skin tans easily, without burning and turns to golden, without significant sensitivity. Dark skin, on the other hand, is colored even in the winter months, does not burn "almost" ever, and is accompanied by dark hair in most cases.
2. The Skin Undertone
Having identified the color of the complexion, we must now establish the color of the lower layer of our skin. To find this out it is necessary to look at the color of the veins: in the case of blue or purple veins, the undertone is cold; if the veins are green, it is a warm undertone; when the veins are green/blue, the undertone is neutral. Looking at our skin in the sun will give us more information: skin that tans easily and turns golden will have warm undertones; skin that gets sunburned and turns red will have cool undertones. A final trick to identify the undertone of the skin is the combination with gold or silver jewelry: gold goes better with skins with warm undertones, silver stands out on those with cold undertones.
3. Face Shape
The shape of your face also comes into play when choosing the perfect lipstick. Long face with a pronounced chin: avoid colors that are too dark and cold, such as plum, purple and brown. Round face: to give depth and sculpt the oval, prefer deeper colors such as dark reds or color shades reminiscent of berries.
4. Every Complexion Has Its Lipstick
Having overcome the first hurdle, let's now find out how best to match lipsticks to the color of your complexion.
• For fair skin, the most suitable lipsticks are those that turn to shades of light pink and nude, but you can also dare with peach and coral pink;
• Fair skin, cool undertone: intense brown or nude lipstick in shades of beige;
• Fair skin, warm undertone: pink or nude lipstick with peachy tones;
• For medium skin, opt for stronger shades of pink, such as mauve and burgundy;
• Medium skin, cool undertones: prefer stronger shades of pink, up to plum purple and blueberry blue;
• Medium skin, warm undertones: bronze, copper and brick lipsticks are welcome;
• Medium-dark skin is best enhanced with lipsticks in orange tones, such as brick and coral;
• For dark skin go for dark lipsticks such as burgundy, burgundy, plum and brown;
• Dark skin, cold undertones: burgundy or wine-colored lipsticks are recommended;
• Dark skin, warm undertone: lipsticks in shades of brown, bronze and copper.
How to choose red lipstick?
Then there is the age-old question of red lipstick. How do you choose the perfect one? Well, in this case too, skin color and predominant undertone count.
Fair skin: avoid deep red, opt for a subtle red, such as coral or rosy-toned lip make-up.
Medium skin: bright red lipstick or cherry colors.
Dark skin: this complexion color can afford the most intense red lipstick there is, the ruby one.
How to choose lipstick for bigger or thinner lips?
Do you have thin lips and want to give your lip makeup a plumping effect? Choose lipsticks in light, bright colors that are perfect for making your lips look bigger and plumper. On the contrary, do you have very pronounced lips and would you prefer thinner lips? Dark, matte finish lipstick shades tend to make lips look smaller.
Choosing lipstick based on hair and eye color
If you think it's over here, you're wrong. It remains to harmonize the color of the lipstick to the hair and eyes.
• Cool based hair, such as dark brown and ash, black but also very light blonde and platinum invite you to choose blue tone lipsticks, ranging from light candy pinks to peony pinks, from powder pinks to bright fuchsia. But also ruby red, wine red and purple.
• Warm-based hair, such as golden blondes, coppery browns and all shades of brown, call for sunnier lipstick shades, such as coral, orange, bright red.
• Red hair? Perfect with plum lipstick and chocolate brown!
• For brown or hazel eyes, the lipsticks to match are all red-based ones.
• For green eyes, go with any shade you can think of.
• For gray, cerulean, blue but also black and blue eyes, cool tone lipsticks ranging from pink to blue are perfect.
Banffee Makeup is the professional lipsticks manufacturer in cosmetics industry with over 16 years of experience, we have various types and colors of lipsticks for selection and also provide OEM/ODM service. Weclome to contact us for further details.
HEY, LET’S KEEP IN TOUCH!
If you have any questions about our products or services, feel free to reach out to customer service team.