Matte lipstick is a popular makeup trend that has taken the beauty world by storm. It is a lipstick formula that has a powdery finish and is known for its long-lasting and non-shiny appearance. Matte lipstick is perfect for those looking for a more natural and subtle look, but sometimes applying this type of lipstick can be more complicated than other formulas. This article aims to explain what matte lipstick is, how to apply it properly, and tips for making it last longer.
What is Matte Lipstick?
Matte lipstick is a type of lipstick that has a non-glossy and powdery finish. It does not reflect light and is not hydrating unlike other types of lipstick. It is made of a different formula than glossy lipsticks, which is why it has a unique texture and appearance. Traditionally, matte lipsticks are made from a combination of wax, oil, and pigments that work together to create a non-shiny and velvety finish.
How to Apply Matte Lipstick?
Matte lipstick can be a little bit tricky to apply because of its formula's thickness and dryness. Here are some steps to follow to ensure a perfect matte lip:
1. Exfoliate Your Lips: Before applying any lipstick, it is essential to exfoliate your lips to make sure they are smooth and flake-free. Use a gentle lip scrub or a clean toothbrush to get rid of any dead skin.
2. Moisturize Your Lips: Matte lipstick tends to be drying, so make sure to moisturize your lips with a lip balm or oil before applying your lipstick.
3. Apply Lip Primer: Lip primer helps to create an even base on your lips. It also helps to make sure that your matte lipstick applies more evenly and lasts longer.
4. Outline Your Lips: Use a lip liner to outline your lips before applying the matte lipstick. Lip liner provides a guide to keep your edges neat and precise.
5. Apply Your Matte Lipstick: Use a small lip brush or apply your matte lipstick straight from the tube. Start in the center of your lips and work your way outwards, making sure to fill in any gaps.
Tips for Making Matte Lipstick Last Longer
Matte lipsticks have a reputation for their staying power. They're able to last all day without needing a touch-up, but there are still a few things that we can do to make sure that our matte lipstick lasts even longer. Here are five tips for making your matte lipstick last all day:
1. Use Lip Primer: As mentioned before, lip primer is the key to making sure that your matte lipstick lasts all day. Lip primer ensures an even and stable base for your lipstick to latch onto.
2. Set Your Lipstick: Use a translucent blotting powder to set your lipstick in place. The powder helps to absorb any excess oils and keeps your lipstick matte for longer.
3. Blot Your Lips: Matte lipsticks tend to be thicker and temporary making them prone to smudging and transferring. The trick is to blot your lips with a tissue after applying your lipstick to remove any excess oils. Then, re-apply your lipstick for a longer-lasting look.
4. Avoid Oily Food: Oily foods tend to make our matte lipstick wear off faster. So, avoid eating oily foods or use a straw to keep your matte lipstick looking its best.
5. Use a Setting Spray: A setting spray is a great tool to make sure that your makeup, including your matte lipstick, lasts longer. It helps to lock everything in place and can be especially helpful on hot days when we sweat more.
In conclusion, matte lipstick is a fantastic option for those who want a long-lasting and natural lip look. With a few easy steps, matte lipstick can be applied perfectly, and with the help of some tips and tricks, it can last all day. Don't be afraid to experiment and find the perfect matte lipstick shade for you..